Le Case nel Parco - Spina 3
The mixed use complex Spina 3 - Vitali represents a unique opportunity to redesign one of the biggest unused industrial areas of Turin. In its urban context Spina 3 becomes a fundamental link between the city and a public park nearby thus introducing a new attraction and revitalizing an important area of Turin. It addresses Turin's problem of a lack of public spaces in surrounding areas.
A pedestrian path is placed between open court buildings and towers and crosses the area totally surrounded by public green.
The complex Spina 3 is based on a plurality of functions in order to grant a mix of activities and thus a mix of users:
- a business district on the east side of the area with offices and a shopping mall
- a complex with hotels, restaurants and a big food store on the west side
- a residential area between the two complexes
- the urban park south of the area
Key points of the project:
- high use of plants and green along the buildings (green roofs, balconies, private gardens)
- visual relation between city and urban park thanks to the pilotis at the ground floors
- bow-windows as transparent volumes towards the city and the park
- social integration thanks to a percentage of council flats
- open court buildings with a height decreasing from 10 floors towards the city to 4 floors southwards to get a better integration with the urban park
- towers with a maximum height of 14 floors maximise the use of the ground dedicated to playgrounds and public park
Cars are hidden thanks to the three level underground parking which maximises the number of pedestrian pathways and allows views on the park and city.
Cinque Cerchi S.p.A.
size: 113.000 m²
Europrogetti, Maire Engineering, Studio Mellano Associati - Rendering: Utopix
2009 - 2014