San Siro Stadium
Sport & Leisure
In 1925/26 the Chairman of A.C. Milan Piero Pirelli promoted the construction of a football stadium and a horserace course next to it. The project of San Siro Stadium by engineers Stacchini and Cugini was realized with four straight stands of which one was partially covered. The stadium had a total capacity of 35.000 spectators.
In 1935 the stadium was bought by the City Council and was then enlarged for the first time: four curved stands were added to the existing straight stands creating a continuous ring. Furthermore, the two main stands were enlarged and the total capacity was increased to 55.000 spectators. The project was supervised by engineer Bertera and architect Perlasca.
In 1954/55 a second enlargement carried out by Ronca and Calzolari transformed the structure radically with the addition of a second layer to the stands. The new stands were constructed with a load-bearing structure. The spiral stairways giving access to the new stands totally renewed the architectural image of the structure. The capacity temporarily rose to 100.000 spectators. Later on due to new renovation it was reduced to a maximum of about 80.000 spectators including standing places and places occupied in overcrowded conditions; the total seating capacity was calculated with 60.000 spectators.
On the occasion of the Soccer World Cup 1990, the Municipality of Milan decided to proceed with the refurbishment of San Siro Stadium after turning down the idea of the construction of a new stadium due high costs and limited time. Furthermore, the 'Meazza' stadium belongs to the important sports and leisure complex 'the city of sport' since 1887, the year in which the first horse racing course was established in Milan.
The motives and concepts behind the project conceived by the City Council can be summarized as follows:
- to offer greater comfort to the spectators;
- to guarantee the highest safety standards;
- a project that provides a multifunctional use of the stadium so that it fulfills the role of a social, cultural and recreational center apart from hosting football matches;
- to ensure an architectural image which is coherent with the present structure;
The new San Siro Stadium project designed by Architects Giancarlo Ragazzi, Enrico Hoffer, and Engineer Leo Finzi consisted of the construction of the third ring of stands, appearing as a continuous unit (but formed of totally independent structures) in contrast to the stands of the existing second ring.
The overall capacity was 86.000 spectators (all covered and with numbered seats) as required for the World Cup 1990. The structure of the terraces of the new third ring was placed on eleven cylindrical towers in reinforced concrete. These towers still today provide access to the stands and various services and are independent of the existing construction. Four of these towers also support the reticular girders of the roof. Rectangular plates were attached on the load-bearing structure and support the roof made of curved shelters of polycarbonate. To allow maximum comfort new anatomically shaped seats were installed and numbered. Furthermore, efficient catering facilities were provided for the spectators.
Since the early 2000s Ragazzi and Partners has successfully carried out and realized important projects focusing on the renovation of the old part of the stadium with the aim of transforming San Siro in a five star stadium in terms of comfort and safety standards.
Ragazzi and Partners was the studio in charge of some of the major renovation projects for the UEFA Champions League Final which was hosted by San Siro stadium on 28 May 2016. Thanks to this renovation San Siro received a prestigious recognition and has been classified in the UEFA Elite list of stadia.
size: 85.000 covered seats
Arch. Enrico Hoffer - Ing. Leo Finzi, Edilnord Progetti - photo credits: D.Domenicali, L.Macchiavelli
1987 - 1990